Monday, July 21, 2008

Semin interview

It's the middle of summer, and not that much news going on, so I'll share these interviews from an Ovechkin fansite.

He's some interesting notes from the Semin one.

Q. Was it a completely different Capitals team than now?
AS. When I came to Capitals the team was much stronger than now because there were practically all stars. Prior to that they lost in playoffs, in the quarterfinals, I think.They lost in shootouts or something, I don't remember exactly. Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar were playing.. There were a lot of famous players. But at the end of the season they all were traded. And the team was left with nothing. For two years until Ovechkin came, it was a scene of great stagnation. Now, yes, we are a young team, a good, fast team. Exactly what is needed for these times.

Q.Were you arguably better at the world championship than when played for Capitals?
As. At first my season started as a failure. I was injured. I didn't play for 2.5 months. And then everything went on. When there were 15 games left before the playoffs, I started to get in shape. And the worlds were later. I peaked. And it all got together

Q.Who is number one in the NHL?At the moment?
AS. I'd select Pasha Datsyuk. This is a player I like for a very long time. He has the best hands.

Q.In addition to Washington Capitals, is there any NHL team you wouldn't mind to leave to?
AS. The same Detroit, for example?I am not a fan of changing the environment. I am such a person that I am satisfied with everything in Washington. Never thought about leaving. And how to leave? You decided to play for another team and you leave? There is no such thing in NHL. If they trade you, they won't ask where you want to.

Q.Do you have a lady in your heart?
AS. I don't.

Q. You are an enviable bachelor, rich, handsom, young, with the future.
AS. So far I have not met anyone.

Q. You said before that you were renting a house in Washington.
AS. Now I got the house. I bought it this year. A lot easier now

Q. How many floors?
AS. Three.

Q. Are you satisfied with the land?
AS. Over there the house prices depend on the size of the land.It depends also on location, in what part of the town. I live next to the training arena. 15 minutes away. I am happy with everything.

Q. And who is Capitals champion in poker?
AS. Backstrom is pretty good. But its different all the time. Once one guy will win, then another guy, then another.

Q. Do you have a bodyguard on ice?
AS. Brashear is managing it. But he is not my bodyguard, he is everyone's.

Q. Who was your idol?
AS. Pavel Bure. I was 10 years old, I'd get up early on Saturday morning, watched NHL games. Back then they showed those games from over the ocean in the mornings. My Dad would wake me up. I enjoyed watching how he played.


The rest of the interview can be found here. It's long, but really good and funny. There's still some great stuff in the interview.




No comments: