Saturday, July 19, 2008

Update of the offseason

Ok. I'm going to be doing a big update of everything that has happened this offseason.

May 22-Karl Alzner signs entry level deal-3 years, cap hit of 1.675 million per year.



May 27-Matt Bradley resigns-3 years, 1 million per year.

Quote from Bradley

"I wanted to stay here, obviously," he said on the phone this afternoon. "We had to come together on money, but the three-year part was a big key for me. I wanted -- not security -- but to know where I was going to be. There's never security in hockey. You always have to play like it's your last game, but it's nice to know where you're going to be for a while."

What I think of the signing-I'm glad Bradley is coming back. He's a heart and soul type player. He's great in the locker room, and he has valuable leadership quality's. He's a demon on the forecheck and fits in with Boudreua's system.
Bradley's stats last year- 7 goals, 11 assist, 18 points, 74 PIMS, and 5th on the team with 126 hits.
June 20-Caps trade Steve Eminger, and 84th overall pick(Jacob Deserres) to the Flyers for the 27th overall pick, the Caps then choose defenceman John Carlson.
Quote from Eminger.
"It didn't hurt that the Flyers were the last team I played against," he said. "If there was one team I wanted to go to, that's it. It's hard to leave the friends that I've made in Washington. But hockey-wise, I needed a new start. And Philadelphia is the perfect place for it."

What I think of the trade- I think that we won this trade. Mcphee turned a #8 d-man into a first round pick. Carlson is a big, strong and tough D-man. He's a right-shot which is important.
July 1-Mike Green resigns-4 years, 5.25 million per year.

Quote from Green's agent.

"It took a long time, but this puts him in a position where he's competitive with many of his peers who are signing similar deals," said Don Meehan, one of Green's representatives. "He's in the same class as Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, he's in a class like those people."

"There was some discussion of a longer term deal, but we didn't get to numbers that we felt would be relevant for him," Meehan added. "I think by doing a four year deal, it's in the best interest of both sides. In four years, we'll all have a better perspective of what we should be doing on a longer term deal."

What I think of the signing-I like that the deal is 4 years. When the contract ends Green will still be a RFA, so if he does decided to sing with someone else 4 years from now we will get compensation which is up to 4 draft picks. The money is a bit high, but it's what we had to do to keep Green.

Green's stats last year- Lead the league in goals for defenceman with 18 goals, 38 assist, and 3rd on the team with 56 points. Also lead the team in Time on ice, with 23:38 minutes per game.
July 1-Jose Theodore signs with the Caps-2 years, 4.5 million per year.
Quote from Theodore.
"I struggled but I feel like I have my game back on," he said. "It was two things: confidence, obviously, and just working really hard, I think. Sometimes There were a couple distractions on and off the ice, and from there you loose confidence a little bit. But when you reach the lows in your career and you bounce back up it makes you a better person and a better players. My confidence is as good as it's ever been, so I know I can play at a high level for a long, long time. "

What I think of the signing-Obviously the Caps would have liked to have kept Cristobal Huet, but Huet left for more money. Back to Theodore, I think the signing is great, 2 years is perfect. 4.5 million is less then what we were going to give Huet, so we saved some money.

Theodore's stats last year- 28-21-3 record, with 3 shut-outs, 2.44 GAA, and a .910 save percentage.
July 3-Keith Aucoin signs with the Caps-2 years, .4875 million(487,500) per year. Two-way deal.
What I think of the signing-Aucoin is just a depth signing. He'll end up playing in Hershey(AHL) next year. He's a really talented player in the AHL but he's not big enough to make it in the NHL. The only way he'll play with the Caps this year is if there are injury's. I like the signing because it's going to make Hershey a whole lot better.

Aucoin's stats last year- 5 goals, 8 assist, 13 points in 38 games. He also had 45 points in 38 games in the AHL.
July 9-Brooks Laich resigns-3 years, 2.067 million per year

Quote from Laich's agent.

"Well, everyone always wants more money. It is a fair deal and it is within Brooks' market value. There is some term there so there is some certainty for Brooks going forward. He is happy to get the deal done because he sees the team as an exciting, up-and-coming team and wants to be a part of it."

What I think of the signing-I like Laich a lot, but the price is a bit high for him, but I expect him to get better. I don't think he's reached his full potential yet. I think he can score more and put up more points. I like the 3 years part, but it's a little risky because we also gave Matt Pettinger a 3 year contract after he scored 20 goals, and that didn't turn out well.

Laich's stats last year- 21 goals, 16 assist, 37 points, 3rd on the team in PP goals with 8 goals. He also lead the team in short-handed goals, he had 2.
July 10-Eric Fehr resigns-1 year .735 million(735,000) per year
Fehr's stats last year- 1 goal, 5 assist, 6 points in 23 games
July 11-Boyd Gordon resigns-1 year .725 million(725,000) per year
Gordon's stats last year- 7 goals, 9 assist, 16 points, in 67 games
July 14-Sergei Fedorov resigns-1 year, 4 million per year

We are happy to have Sergei back,” said vice president and general manager George McPhee. “What he brings to the club extends beyond the rink. He is a leader and a player that everyone on our team wanted back. We look forward to him helping us compete this upcoming season.”

What I think of the signing-I like that Fedorov is returning. I think that he is going to have a huge impact of this team for many, many years after he's gone. He's going to influence all the young players. Everybody is going to learn from him, and he's a good person to learn from. The 4 million dollars is a little to much, but we really needed Fedorov to return.

Fedorov's stats last year- 11 goals, 30 assist, 41 points in 68 games. In the 18 games with the Caps last year Fedorov had 2 goals and 11 assist.

That's everybody we've signed this offseason so far. Defenceman Shaone Morrisonn filed for arbitration, so he will be resigned to a one-year contract. His arbitration date is set for July 24th.

Also the Caps had 3 UFA's who signed with other teams. Huet, Kolzig and Cooke. He's what they signed for.

Huet- 4 years, 5.6 million per year signed with Chicago. I know most of you have heard the story before about how we offered Huet the money he wanted but decided to sign with Chicago for more money.

Kolzig- 1 year, 1.5 million per year, with a cap hit of 2.5 million because of bonuses. Signed with Tampa. Olie still wants to play hockey, and he has a chance to be the starter, but he'll probably back-up Mike Smith.

Cooke- 3 years, 1.2 million per year. Signed with Pittsburgh. I think we could have keep Cooke at that price, but we wouldn't have been able to keep Bradley then. Mcphee thought Bradley fit in with the team better.
So that's everything that has happened this offseason. I hope I didn't leave anything out.
Tomorrow I'm going to run some numbers and give you guys the cap hit for everybody and figure out how much cap space is left.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all these high payrolls for players aside from Ovechkin, it puzzles me to see how GMGM was able to make good use of that money! Fedorov's contract was definitely too high though, and maybe moreso for Green. I think Laich's contract is good for now.

I'm still a lil ticked we sent off Eminger to the Flyers, but I think it was worth it. Might be good for the Flyers but he didn't do much for the Caps this past season.

It's still nice we were able to get Fehr and Gordon for a combined $1.5 mil.

and btw I don't think you can compare Pettinger to Laich. They're two completely different players...lol

B19 said...

Yeah I know Pettinger and Laich are two different players, but Pettinger did sign a deal similar to Laich's and it didn't turn out well.

You could see that Laich has skill and a better work ethic.

The only reason why Pettinger scored 20 goals was because he was playing on the 2nd line that year because the Caps weren't good.

Laich scored 20 goals on a good team, with less ice time.