Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mikhail Yunkov coming over to Washington?

According to this report, Mikhail Yunkov is going to be coming over seas from Russia and will participate in training camp this year. Yunkov was a 2nd round pick, 62nd overall in the 2004 NHL entry draft. He's been playing in Russia for the past 4 years. Check his stats out here.

Here's a quote from Yunkov(translated from Russian, so there are some grammar mistakes.)

In the end of summer I shall treat America to take part in training camp of beginners, - has told JUnkov " Soviet sports ". - At me the contract with "Spartakom" has ended, and I have decided to try the forces in NHL. Perfectly I understand, that there will get difficultly. Most likely, I shall leave for all season even if in AHL firstly will send.


Here's a scouting report on Yunkov and the type of game he plays.

Yunkov is a smart, two-way center with strong playmaking skills. The 6-foot, 180-pounder is good on face-offs and can also play on the wing. At a tournament earlier this year, Yunkov centered a line with wingers Alexander Radulov (selected 15th overall by Nashville in 2004 Entry Draft) and Roman Voloshenko (42nd, Minnesota). The trio combined for 19 points in just four games. Yunkov also posted four assists in six games at the World U18 tournament. Scouts who have seen him play marvel at his hockey sense and say he is a very solid complementary player.


Yunkov talking about his own game.

Yunkov: “I do consider myself a playmaking center but I also consider myself a defensive center. I don’t get to watch the NHL that much but during an interview in Toronto the Phoenix Coyotes said that I resembled Ron Francis in my style.”

The Capitals haven't signed him to a contract yet, but he doesn't need a contract to participate in training camp. He seems like a decent prospect.

No comments: